I was born in Bishop Aukland, County Durham, and lived in Shildon until I was four. My father was a cruel and violent man and my mother and I left him fearing for our lives. We lived in the small farming village of Summerhouse until I was ten years old, when my mother re-married and we moved to Brompton-on-Swale, North Yorkshire. I began to write stories when I was in High School, which made me popular with me peers, who enjoyed reading them. I wrote about a life of romance and adventure. The life I wish I had.
I married a British Soldier in 1977 and we moved every three or four years. It was a good life. My current story ‘Dead of July’ is based on the time I spent in Germany, and heavily influenced by the characters I met in the British Army. My daughter, Joanna, was born in Germany in 1984.
In 1995 I moved to Colorado with my husband and daughter, and have lived here ever since. I love Colorado. The only place I would rather live is Italy, a country that I visit often.
I seem to have found my niche in the US, and have made a great many friends. My nickname is CrazyBrit, which I take as a compliment. Who wants to be normal?
I self-published two short stories in 2009, which received many good reviews, encouraging me to continue writing. It’s difficult balancing a full time job, writing, and planning a wedding, but I’m getting it done.
Dead of July was three years in the making and is the book I hopes will launch my career as a writer. I have lots of stories to tell.
Link to my blog: http://wordsfrombeyond.wordpress.com/
Link to purchase my e-Book and paperback on Amazon: http://amzn.to/Rez7bz
My personal motto:
“Don’t lie in bed dreaming about what you want to do, get up and achieve your dreams. Life is short, don’t procrastinate.”
- A typical work day begins with… a good cup of DazBog coffee and a view of the beautiful Rocky Mountains.
- I lose track of time… I sit down to write my latest novel, or read a good book, especially a Stephen King Classic like The Stand, or Dr. Sleep.
- I have always… had an over-active imagination. I can make an adventure out of the most mundane situation.
- I have never… been tempted to skydive or bungee jump. The thought of both of those things terrifies me.
- Home means to me… sitting around a dinner table with close friends and family, enjoying good food, good conversation and good wine. It usually involves lots of reminiscing and laughter.
- I am inspired by… by life. It’s so unique. Look at the people and places that surround us. I love to travel and meet new people.
- I would like to meet… Michelle and Barack Obama and Johnny Depp. They are all smart fascinating people.
- My worst character trait… is thinking everything that goes wrong is my fault.
- My best character trait… my sense of humor, and quick thinking. I can turn a bad situation around very quickly. I laugh loud, hard and often, especially at myself.
- The best advice I was given… “Live every day as though it is your last. Don’t do or say anything you wouldn’t like to see on the front page of the newspaper.”
Related article: Book review – Dead of July