My personal motto:
“If you wait for perfect conditions, you’ll never get anything done.”
- A typical work day begins with… coffee creamer and a teensy bit of coffee while I catch up on my soaps (a.k.a. Facebook). I also work as a birth doula, which is a support person for families when they prepare for the birth of a child. When I’m working as a doula, there is no typical work day. Usually I am driving to the hospital in a snowstorm at 3 a.m. while rethinking my career path.
- I lose track of time… when I am drinking coffee/creamer and catching up on Facebook. Also when I tell my husband I’m going anywhere and I’ll be back in “a few minutes”. That may be my most common lie. Sorry, husband.
- I have always… loved horses. When I’m not reading or writing, I’m probably riding a horse or hanging out in the barn.
- I have never… read anything by J. R. R. Tolkien. I haven’t even watched the movies. No, I can’t believe it, either.
- Home means to me… a comfy chair, a cup of coffee, and my laptop or a book with the chirp of crickets and the whinny of a horse as my soundtrack. That’s best-case scenario. Really, it’s more like my three younger boys wailing on each other, Wrestlemania-style, and the older one hooting and hollering at his friends while playing online games. My blood pressure runs perpetually kind of high–wonder why!
- I am inspired by… all kinds of things. A good book (the more haunting or magical a setting, the better), a touching movie, a funny conversation, or random person shuffling down the street.
- I would like to meet… J. K. Rowling, because she’s the bee’s knees. And then I’ll throw in Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jennifer Lawrence, and Emma Stone. My list is kind of shallow, I realize, but that’s how I roll.
- My worst character trait… is impatience. When God was handing out virtues, I totally skipped that line because it was waaaaay too long.
- My best character trait… is loyalty. If I was your friend in second grade, odds are, I’ll still be your friend when I’m fifty.
- The best advice I was given… was “write what you know.” At first, I laughed about that because I don’t know much, and my life feels very boring. Now I’m beginning to understand.
S. J. Henderson’s Store (autographed paperbacks): http://www.sjhenderson.net/store/