R.T. Lowe lives in Newtown, Connecticut.
Social media link
My personal motto:
I don’t have one. Never thought about it. I guess I could be open to suggestions.
- A typical work day begins with… lots of coffee. I have three kids under the age of four and practicing law is how I pay the bills. I wrote The Felix Chronicles: Freshmen between the hours of two and six in the morning over the course of a few years. Now when I look at my finished book I see the sunnier side of insomnia.
- I lose track of time… when I write. The clock mocks me even on those days when the words stubbornly resist what I’m trying to say and I can’t find the ‘right’ tone.
- I have always… loved books and stories with supernatural elements. When I was six or seven someone gave me a book on Greek mythology and I must have read it a hundred times. I remember thinking that I was getting away with something; there was so much violence and crazy stuff going on in these stories and the adults were actually encouraging me to read it.
- I have never… done anything quite so lonely as writing a book. It takes forever, consumes every free second (and every brain cell that isn’t otherwise being utilized for something else), and is only interesting to the person doing the writing. Of course I absolutely loved it and that’s why I’m furiously working away on TFC: Book 2.
- Home means to me… my little house in Newtown, Connecticut with my awesome wife (I aimed high and got lucky) and my three boys.
- I am inspired by… the ability to create something (a song, a scene in a movie, a passage in a book) that triggers an emotional reaction (and even a physical reaction) for the person taking it in. A reviewer recently told me that one of the characters in my book (the “Faceman”) was so chilling that it ‘made her wince’ when he was having a dialogue with one of his victims. When I heard that I did a little fist pump because that’s exactly what I’m hoping for. I want my readers to wince at the prospect of ‘what will happen to that poor girl when she can’t move the piece of wood with her mind’. Spoiler alert: nothing good.
- I would like to meet… Taylor Swift. I love her. There, I said it. Don’t tell my awesome wife.
- My worst character trait… I’m terrible at small talk. I also have very little patience for conversations that don’t interest me and my mind tends to wander. If it wasn’t for my wife my social calendar would be pretty bleak.
- My best character trait… I can function on very little sleep (see No.1 above). On the other hand, if you don’t like my book I suppose you could argue that I’m obviously sleep deprived and should consider sleeping more and writing less.
- The best advice I was given… I’m still waiting on that one little gem that will clear the haze and bring happiness, fame and fortune. At least, I think I’m still waiting. After some thought on this one, I have to acknowledge the possibility that it may have already happened and my mind was wandering (see No. 8 above)
Genre(s): Young Adult, Urban Fantasy
Series: The Felix Chronicles, #1
Length: 500 pages
Release Date: 2015-05-11
Amazon US: buy link