Kate Tilton has been in love with books for as long as she can remember. A relatively new voice in publishing, Kate has been serving authors behind the scenes since 2010. Founder of Kate Tilton’s Author Services, LLC, Kate works as an author assistant, social media manager, and speaker with the mission of connecting authors and readers. Kate is the creator and host of #K8chat (Thursdays at 9pm Eastern on Twitter), a contributor to BadRedhead Media, and has appeared on popular media such as Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, The Book Designer, Kobo Writing Life and Rafflecopter. A cat-lover and fan of many geeky things, Kate can likely be found curled up with the latest Doctor Who episode, plotting world takeover, or connecting authors and readers in any way she can. You can find Kate on katetilton.com.
My personal motto:
“My goal for the longest time has been to help authors. Make their life better because they make my life better. You are my rockstars.”
- A typical work day begins with… petting my kittens and lighting a candle. It is the perfect way to start the work day.
- I lose track of time… when I’m focused on a project or story. I love to get lost in the work I am doing or the story I am consuming!
- I have always… loved helping people. There is something completely magical about being able to make someone’s day just a little better. When I leave this Earth I hope to have left it better than when I arrived.
- I have never… been to Disney World or Disney Land. As a huge Disney fangirl this is a dream of mine. Hopefully one day soon I’ll be able to realize that dream!
- Home means to me… a place where I can be with my kitties and books. Home is a safe place where I can always come back to.
- I am inspired by… stories, art, beauty, animals, fish… Haha! I find many things to be fascinating on this planet. Seeing someone help another, just because the other was in need. Watching the fish swim by at an aquarium. Reading a story in a beautiful fantasy world. I’m inspired by so many things. In business I’m inspired by those who are helping others every day: Brian Clark, Joel Friedlander, Rachel Thompson to name a few.
- I would like to meet… Brian Clark! Haha! That makes me sound like a fangirl but Brian has been a huge inspiration for my business over the last year. He was able to make something but focusing on what matters: helping others. Instead of throwing ads everywhere Brian focused on creating content that mattered to the audience he wanted to help. I inspire to do the same everyday.
- My worst character trait… I am a perfectionist and workaholic. I have set rules for myself to help curb the workaholic tendencies I have, but the perfectionist nature is something I struggle with. It means I expect a lot from others and even more from myself. So I’ll often have to remind myself we are all different and all imperfect and there is beauty in that.
- My best character trait… I am proud of who I am and not concerned with other’s opinions of me. Now, I do care (I want people to think well of me) but I’m not afraid of those who would judge me for the things I like. I’m a cat loving, geeky girl and if someone wants to judge me for something like what clothes I wear or the type of shows I watch, well, should their opinion matter all that much?
- The best advice I was given… “be kind to yourself” as someone with workaholic/perfectionism running in her veins being told that it is okay to take breaks, okay to have days where you do nothing but watch TV on the couch, was important. Sometimes we can be our own worse enemy. So if you find yourself getting upset with where you are and what you have accomplished, take a moment to be kind to yourself. Don’t compare yourself to others. Remember where you have been and where you are going and take it one little step at a time.