Jordan Phillips is the author of Inspired by Paris: Why Borrowing from the French Is Better Than Being French. She spends most of her time in New York City with her husband and daughter but enjoys escaping to her apartment in Paris as often as possible.
Jordan holds a master’s degree in fashion marketing and management from the École Supérieure des Arts et Techniques de la Mode (ESMOD) in Paris, and a bachelor’s degree in journalism from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly). She is also the author of Sustainable Luxe: A Guide to Feel-Good Fashion and The Lure of Luxe: Climbing the Luxury Consumption Pyramid.
For more information, and to shop for fabulous vintage clothing and accessories from France, please visit www.inspiredbyparis.com.
universal book link: getBook.at/inspiredbyparis
My personal motto:
“If I lose myself, I lose it all.” (borrowed from Beyoncé!)
- A typical work day begins with… three espressos, breakfast, checking emails and social media, getting my daughter off to school.
- I lose track of time… when I’m reading, writing, or planning a trip.
- I have always… loved escapism, whether virtually through books and magazines, or in reality through travel.
- I have never… Never say never.
- Home means to me… I have lived in many cities, but the very first time I really felt home was the first day I moved to New York. Even though I had to kill a rat and several cockroaches on day one, I felt at peace and home for the very first time in my life. I will never leave. It is the most exciting city in the world to live in.
- I am inspired by… Paris! For visiting, there is nothing like Paris. It is the most beautiful city in the world.
- I would like to meet… Michelle Obama.
- My worst character trait… impatience.
- My best character trait… perseverance.
- The best advice I was given… always consider where the other person is coming from before judging or responding.
Part travel narrative and part lifestyle guide, Inspired by Paris: Why Borrowing from the French Is Better Than Being French is a must-read for anyone who’s ever dreamed about traveling to or living in France.
Author Jordan Phillips is a bona fide Francophile. Just show her a wedge of oozy French cheese or a slightly dilapidated Mansard roof, and she’ll swoon every time. Before moving to New York, Phillips lived in Paris, and she still travels to her apartment there frequently. But through these experiences, she learned that—as in so many things in life—fantasy is often better than reality.
Filled with historical tidbits, motivational nuggets, and honest insight, chapters such as “La Vie Est Belle,” “The Paris Syndrome,” and “Jacques-in-the-Box” reveal the truth of what it’s really like to live in the most beautiful city in the world.
Whether you’re headed to Paris next week or never make it there at all, this chatty and information-packed book will introduce you to the real City of Light—beyond the fantasy of the Instagram version.