San Francisco writer ST JOHN KARP is an ornamental hermit who likes to live near exciting things so he cannot go to them. He has an undying love for the unusual, the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band and toast.
His debut novel, RADIUM BABY, released in 2013. SKUNKS DANCE, Karp’s second novel, releases Jan. 24, 2017.
For more information, visit https://www.fuzzjunket.com/.
My personal motto:
“Read more than you write. Don’t forget to feed your soul. And never swim with stingrays — they killed the Crocodile Hunter, they can kill us all.”
- A typical work day begins with… a scream and a blueberry muffin.
- I lose track of time… whenever I’m procrastinating. The best way to get me to do something is to give me something to avoid.
- I have always… relied on the weirdness of strangers.
- I have never… eaten a dog or a cat, but if they were on the menu in a restaurant I’d have to see what that’s like, you know? I feel it’s what Rover would have wanted. And when I die, Mittens is welcome to what’s left of me.
- Home means to me… somewhere I can watch a silent movie. With wine. And maybe a pizza.
- I am inspired by… the weird and the wonderful. Things that are properly strange and crazy and brilliant and witty just dazzle me. I’d be happy if I could write something half as good as my favorite novels.
- I would like to meet… Vivian Stanshall, front-man of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band. He was one of the funniest, wittiest creative geniuses of the 20th century. I have no doubt he would have steamrollered me, but it’s like being insulted by Groucho Marx — nothing could make me happier.
- My worst character trait… is telling people their favorite movies are pants. And I do apologize, but you don’t know how much I suffer sitting through movies like Avatar.
- My best character trait… is listening to people tell my why their favorite movie is not, in fact, pants. I exist to be won over.
- The best advice I was given… “You can’t let the world judge you too much.” Yes, that’s from Harold and Maude. Maude is the wise, spunky Jewish grandmother I never had.
Skunks Dance >>> Now available to pre-order! <<<
Spivey Spillane’s grandmammy always said there were only two good reasons to kill a man — for cheating on a woman, and for serving drinks to a Yankee. She may have had a hand in winning the Revolutionary War, but even she never met the likes of Alabama Sam. Sam robs a bank under Spillane’s name, casts him in an obscene one-man play wearing only a pink tutu, and starts a betting pool on how many wieners he has. Despite the indignities Spillane suffers, he chases Sam across Gold-Rush-era California because Sam is the only one who knows the location of a hidden fortune buried somewhere in the hills.
Meanwhile in the present, 17-year-olds Amanda and Jet have rekindled an old childhood rivalry. Amanda is obsessed with finding the treasure of her infamous ancestor Spivey Spillane. Jet and Amanda’s feud comes to a head over an extended incident involving a broken window, an exploded car, and a charge of sexual assault with a candy Batman. Jet vows that he is going to find to Spillane’s gold before Amanda does, but it doesn’t take them long to realize that someone may have come this way already — someone who wants the past to stay buried.
Release date: >>> January 24, 2017 <<<
Pre-order link: https://www.amazon.com/Skunks-Dance-St-John-Karp/dp/0989263061