Linda Smolkin always wanted to be a writer—ever since she saw her first TV commercial and wondered how to pen those clever ads. She got her degree in journalism and became a copywriter. Linda landed a job at an advertising agency, where she worked for several years before joining the nonprofit world. Her début novel, Among the Branded, was released in May 2017. When not in front of the computer, she’s behind the drums (slightly) annoying her husband, son, and their 70-pound dog.
Amazon author page: Linda Smolkin
My personal motto:
“Don’t sweat the small stuff.”
- A typical (work) day begins with… heading to the office (luckily with a short commute) for my full-time writing job where I grab my first cup of coffee, sift through email, and tackle my to-do list. On the way to/from work, I think about my novels and what I need to do at any particular stage, whether it’s writing, researching, revising/editing, or marketing.
- I lose track of time… when I’m looking at photos on Instagram.
- I have always… dreamed of taking a cross-country road trip, but I’m allergic to traffic so I’ve always put it off!
- I have never… been asked such a tough question! There are many things I have never done. For starters, I’ve never gone skiing. Growing up, we always took beach vacations.
- Home means to me… hanging out with my family, wherever that might be.
- I am inspired by… stories about people who have grit.
- I would like to meet… author Judy Blume. My favorite childhood book was “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret” and when I reread it a few years ago, it was still as great as I remembered. And since drumming is a hobby, it would be really cool to meet some favorite drummers: Neil Peart from Rush and Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters.
- My worst character trait… impatience. [And maybe others if you asked my coworkers.].
- My best character trait… loyalty. [And maybe others if you asked my friends.].
- The best advice I was given… by my father; he always told me not to sweat the small stuff.
Among the Branded
What if a 70-year-old letter from World War II changed the course of your life?
While attending Valor of the ’40s, art director Stephanie Britain stumbles upon a flea market selling letters from the war. She buys a handful, hoping they’ll inspire the redesign for a client’s website at her branding and design firm. She’s at first drawn by the lost art of penmanship, but soon discovers a hidden treasure nestled inside declarations of love from homesick soldiers. Stephanie enlists a coworker to translate one and realizes it’s not a love letter after all. When a shocking discovery about a client causes Stephanie to question her principles and dedication to her firm’s business, she’s forced to make a difficult decision—one that could give her peace of mind, yet ruin her career in the process.
Contemporary fiction with a historical touch, AMONG THE BRANDED explores family life, an unexpected friendship, and moral conflicts that make us wonder what’s more important: our livelihood or our beliefs. This moving début novel by Linda Smolkin is a great addition for readers who enjoy books by Jodi Picoult, Kristin Hannah, and Liane Moriarty.
Print length: 264 pages
Buy links – Amazon author page: Linda Smolkin