Leonora Meriel grew up in London and studied literature at the University of Edinburgh and Queen’s University, Ontario. She worked at the United Nations in New York, and then for a law firm.
In 2003 she moved to Kyiv, where she founded and managed Ukraine’s largest Internet company. She studied at Kyiv Mohyla Business School and earned an MBA. During her years in Ukraine, she learned to speak Ukrainian and Russian, witnessed two revolutions and got to know an extraordinary country at a key period of its development.
In 2008, she returned to her dream of being a writer, and completed The Woman Behind the Waterfall, set in a village in western Ukraine. Her second book The Unity Game will be released in May 2017.
Amazon US author page: Leonora Meriel
Amazon UK author page: Leonora Meriel
Twitter – @leonora_meriel: https://twitter.com/leonora_meriel
My personal motto:
“Life is a journey.”
- A typical (work) day begins with… meditation, candles and a clear list for the day.
- I lose track of time… when I am writing, writing, writing and being used as a channel to create someone else’s world.
- I have always… wanted to do far more than was physically possible, ideally, living about 20 different lives in the space of this one.
- I have never… not felt passionate about the many things I am creating and doing and building.
- Home means to me… a place with flowers and candles and people I love the most.
- I am inspired by… people who genuinely use their imagination – who create things I could not possibly have ever thought of – in writing, in painting, in architecture, in actions, in clothes – anywhere!
- I would like to meet… some of my favourite writers: David Mitchell, Michael Cunningham, Haruki Murakami, Hilary Mantel.
- My worst character trait… a refusal to accept physical limitations (leads to burnout and sleep deprivation).
- My best character trait… I have a big, loving heart and I’m passionately loyal to the people I love.
- The best advice I was given… everything is possible if you combine belief, thought and action!
The Woman Behind the Waterfall
Heartbreak and transformation in the beauty of a Ukrainian village
For seven-year old Angela, happiness is exploring the lush countryside around her home in western Ukraine. Her wild imagination takes her into birds and flowers, and into the waters of the river.
All that changes when, one morning, she sees her mother crying. As she tries to find out why, she is drawn on an extraordinary journey into the secrets of her family, and her mother’s fateful choices.
Can Angela lead her mother back to happiness before her innocence is destroyed by the shadows of a dark past?
Beautiful, poetic and richly sensory, this is a tale that will haunt and lift its readers.
Buy link: books2read.com/u/4Agyyp
Pingback: Book Blog Adventures - LEONORA MERIEL
Those are some impressive credentials.
I couldn’t agree more, Craig.
Great post and so nice to read about a new author. Best wishes to Leonora – I enjoyed reading about her and The Woman Behind the Waterfall!
Thank you for the praise. 🙂
I also enjoyed Leonora’s answers and her interesting bio.
Super answers, Leonora. Thanks for the intro, Karen.
My pleasure, John.